Saturday, September 15, 2012

Once a Hero Always a Hero

I have made it no secret that I have the best in-laws in the world.  They have always treated me like one of their own.  My mother in law passed away 16 years ago but my father in law is still with us and lives 2 miles from us.  We see him most days and talk to him every day.  My father in law is a pretty "cool dude."  He wears Levi Jeans, cowboy boots and Lacoste shirts. John, my father in law was a firefighter for 32 years, he has been retired for 17 years.  He loves to tell stories about driving the fire truck and he would tell of some of the biggest fires in South Bend's history that he had fought.
Mike has always said that his dad is his hero and today that was confirmed that the hero lives on. 
We are in the process of preparing for our big fundraiser for Hello Gorgeous!  My father in law was on his way to help us, when he had to make a stop to help someone else first.  It seems that my father in law came upon a 4 car accident.  He stopped to make sure everyone was ok.  In one of the cars their was a pregnant woman and a young girl.  The doors were jammed and could not be opened,so my father in law crawled inside the car and sat with the pregnant woman and her daughter until the fire trucks arrived.   He told them that the doors would not open, they had to use the jaws of life to get her out. When he knew the situation was under control he went on his way to help us.  He mentioned not a word of this to me, but he did tell Mike.  While he was with us, he received a phone call from the pregnant woman's husband thanking him for being there with his wife and invited him to dinner. One of the firefighters that still knew him on the department gave the husband the number. 
My father in law did not make a big deal about this.  As a matter of fact, I didn't find out about it until we got home. Just and ordinary day for him turned into a heroic day for someone he didn't even know. 
What have you done lately to help another human being? What have you done to be an unsung hero?
My father in law is my hero and always will be.  And by the way, he is 76 years old!

1 comment: